Sunday, June 29, 2014

Summer!

Well, I am now the proud owner of a high school diploma. Let the summer of baking/flute playing/weird craft projects begin!

Cake, feat. my cat coming down the stairs

It is blueberry season here in Ontario! Today some family came over to visit, and I was in charge of dessert. 

It's this recipe for a one layer vanilla cake. Usually what I would do is just whip up a bunch of heavy cream and dollop it on, but sadly we didn't have any. Instead, I made a simple syrup of lemon juice and sugar, then added to that 3/8 cups of icing sugar. This made a nice glaze to go in the middle. Then I made a cream cheese icing (1/8 cup butter, 1/8 cup cream cheese, about 3/4 cups of icing sugar, 1/8 tsp. ground vanilla beans, milk as needed) to spread on top. After that I just dumped on a bunch of fresh blueberries. It was pretty darn good. 


I've also been doing a lot of gardening lately. I took charge of the vegetable boxes this year, and it is extremely fun. I'm growing a whole bunch of things, including two varieties of tomatoes, red and green lettuce, onions, herbs, cucumbers, swiss chard, rhubarb, and watermelons (we'll see how those turn out). 


I found the first flower on my tomato plants this afternoon! 

Rhubarb slowly taking over the planet


I'm also very proud of my small basil pot. It's my favourite herb, but one that I've had very little success in growing over the last few years. I caught some earwigs trying to munch on it yesterday, but I seem to have gotten rid of them with a solution of dish soap and water. Fingers crossed!

So far summer 2014 is very successful. I think it was worth the wait. And I'm only on week one! 

E

No comments:

Post a Comment