Sunday, June 28, 2015

Fish out of water post #1

Salut Québec!

So I arrived in the province of Quebec this afternoon.. My goodness, how exciting.

I've been thinking that it would probably be a good idea to write about about my adventures, as it's pretty easy to forget about the things that you've done otherwise. Also, Ms. J would be sad with me if I completely gave up story telling. Alors, bonjour! 

I'm living in Quebec for a little over a month. I'm a music student, but I also like learning about languages and cultures. My government offers a program for anglophones to practice their French over the summer and earn university credits. It's a pretty sweet deal and this is the second time I've done it. 

I got here on a particularly dreary and rainy day. On the train I sat next to a nice Egyptian man who gave me some sort of coconut flavoured madeleine cookie and helped me to get my suitcase unstuck. It was funny how quickly memories of my last trip flooded back to me when I got here. In a taxi I heard a bit of Murry Schafer's Apocalypsis being broadcast from Toronto on the CBC, but I think the driver thought it was a bit too far out, so he switched the station back to Quebecois pop music about beating hearts and love. 

I made it to my residence, and was greeted by people who seemed relieved when I could understand what they were saying. Later, I adventured out in the rain to buy groceries, and was pleasantly surprised when I also could understand what the cashier's rapid French about points cards and plastic bags. 

Most of the students seem to be arriving this evening, and I haven't had the chance to meet many people yet. I'm looking forward to an event on my schedule tomorrow that just says 'pizzalympiques' with no further description of what it is. Hopefully I will get to meet my classmates. Also eat pizza. 

Anyway, hopefully there will be funny stories of my incompetence to follow, but for now bonne nuit!

E

No comments:

Post a Comment